Tuition : 1. Tuition
Dyslexia Action provides tuition for children and adults who have literacy or numeracy difficulties, dyslexia or other specific learning difficulties.
Tuition can be delivered at our Learning Centres, in school or college and online. It is provided on an individual or a small group basis, depending on availability and individual requirements.
Building on assessment information, our highly trained specialist tutors will identify key strengths as well as areas where support is needed. This may be, for example in literacy, numeracy, organisational skills, memory and study skills.
An individual program is then developed drawing on a wide range of strategies and techniques.
What can tuition provide?
- Multi-sensory learning activities that are tailored to the learner (teaching involving multiple senses, including hearing, sight and movement, to help develop skills).
- Support for specific needs including reading, spelling, writing, comprehension, mathematics, organisation, time management and memory.
- Activities and strategies to boost self confidence.
- Support for specific tasks or assignments e.g. at work or in exams.
- Help to improve skills in writing reports, assignments and assessments.
- Support for KS1 and 2 examinations, GCSE study support or entry examinations.
What happens when tuition starts?
An individual learning plan will be devised to meet your specific requirements. This learning plan will be reviewed regularly to assess progress. All tuition or coaching is learner-centred and is focused on the individual requirements of the learner at their stage on the educational journey.
Alexandria achieved higher levels in her SATs tests thanks to one-to-one tutoring with Dyslexia Action. Alex, 11, from Coalpit Heath, is not severely dyslexic but her mum realised something was wrong when she noticed a difference in her reading ability, compared to her older siblings when they were her age.