Projects: 2. Literacy and Dyslexia-SpLD Professional Development
2. Literacy and Dyslexia-SpLD Professional Development
The Literacy and Dyslexia-SpLD Professional Development Framework is a free web-based tool for educators and policy makers.
The Framework was commissioned by the DfE and developed by The Dyslexia-SpLD Trust in conjunction with PATOSS and Dyslexia Action and in consultation with a wide number of stakeholders.
It is a self-assessment tool that provides the user with a full personalised report based on a ‘gap-analysis’ of their confidence in key areas related to dyslexia and other Specific Learning Difficulties [SpLD]. This report defines the levels of additional knowledge, skills and professional attributes that are required to fulfil relevant job roles in the school and educational workforce to support literacy acquisition and dyslexic-SpLD learners effectively. It offers suggestions for next steps in CPD, including key reference texts and research literature; work-place activities; teaching resources and web-based resources and other professional development materials.
The Literacy and Dyslexia-SpLD Framework ‘Phase 2’ has recently been updated and now includes the following new features:
- You can download your personalised results from each strand, including your top ten recommended resources.
- There is a 'Schools Page', with a step-by-step guide for the busy teacher.
- An 'introductory video' including voice-over and screenshots to show you exactly how to do a self-assessment (also available on Youtube).
- Information on how to create an INSET from the framework, including two example Powerpoints. One covers 'Theories of Dyslexia'; the other covers 'The Phonics Screening Check'.
- There is a voiced-over Powerpoint presentation that explains the Framework and discusses some possible ways of using it.
- There is a new 'Add to Favourites' feature to bookmark the resources you like best.
- There is also a 'Send to' feature for you to share your favourite resources.
- It showcases techniques and strategies to support literacy learning including the new TDA materials which contain interactive modules on a range of topics including School Leadership, Assessing Reading and Assessing Writing, which are all free.
The framework invites you to assess your own confidence against a number of statements, based on the following six key strands:
- Development of language and literacy;
- Theories of dyslexia-SpLD;
- Identifying and assessing dyslexia-SpLD;
- Supporting and teaching learners with dyslexia-SpLD;
- Communicating and working with others;
- Professional development and dyslexia-SpLD.