Postgraduate Diploma in Dyslexia and Literacy
The Dyslexia Action Postgraduate Diploma in Dyslexia and Literacy is a unique and prestigious programme at Master’s level 7 that provides the training for qualified teachers to become informed practitioners and specialist assessors. The courses are modular and flexible and are undertaken part time, through online learning.
The Dyslexia Action Postgraduate Diploma in Dyslexia and Literacy is only available to those individuals who already hold a Specialist Teaching Qualification such as the Dyslexia Action Level 7 Certificate in Structured Teaching Intervention, Level 5 Diploma in Strategic Teaching Support for Dyslexia and Literacy, OCR Level 5 (with ATS) or other BDA accredited courses.
Why do this course?
- This course follows on from the Postgraduate Certificate in Structured Teaching Intervention for Dyslexia and Literacy (which must be taken first) and comprises three modules (D, E and F) which enables the practitioner to qualify as a specialist assessor of dyslexia/SpLD
- The modules explore the psychometric assessment process; the critical evaluation process for the selection of appropriate assessment tools and provide the underpinning knowledge for the construction of a professional diagnostic report
- Participants are then able to link assessment findings to remediation strategies explored across the programme
- The final module focuses on research methodology and leads to a dissertation proposal that can be taken forward to the MA programme that follows
How many credits is it worth?
120 university credits at Level 7* (60 certificate + 60 diploma)
*For each academic qualification you achieve, you earn course credits. The number of course credits reflects the study time required to complete a course and the credit levels indicate the complexity and depth of learning you can expect on the course.
Course Accrediting Bodies
- The 20 credit modules are accredited by Middlesex University London as part of a pathway to their MA in Professional Practice in Dyslexia and Literacy
- SASC (SpLD Assessment Standards Committee) for the Assessment Practising Certificate (APC)
- This course confers eligibility for Member of the Dyslexia Guild (MDG)
- BDA: Associate Member of the BDA (AMBDA or AMBDA FE/HE) on completion of all the teaching requirements
How long is the course and when can I start?
The course generally takes around three terms to complete, part time. You can start in January, May and September.
Information to read BEFORE applying
- Postgraduate Brochure (includes fees, entry requirements etc..)
Please note that with immediate effect our fees now require VAT (at 20%) to be added to all costs
- Postgraduate Term Dates 2016 - 2017
- Accreditation of Prior Learning
- PG Financial terms and conditions
- Sources of Funding to Support Your Studies
Who is eligible?
Please refer to the brochure above and to the Accreditation of Prior Learning document below for further information.
How can I apply?
We are currently updating our syllabus for September 2017. Applications for September 2017 onwards will be open at the beginning of July 2017.
Entry Sept 2017: Applications open beginning of July
Entry Jan 2018: Apply by Nov 2017
Entry May 2018: Apply by Mar 2018
For more information please email us or call 01784-222304.
These courses ensure that your current practice is informed and relevant and that you have understanding of how to use the latest resources.