For some people, reading books in an accessible format can make a real difference, which is why we’ve teamed up with the organisation Bookshare to offer access to books in accessible formats.
Bookshare is an online library of ebooks and educational materials adapted for people with print disabilities, including dyslexia. The library includes more than 200,000 textbooks, bestsellers and children’s books.
Bookshare allows you to read books in different ways. You can listen to the words being read aloud, see text on the screen and hear words as they are highlighted, read in braille or large fonts, and more.
Until the end of December 2015, anyone who has a formal diagnostic assessment of dyslexia can apply, through Dyslexia Action, for a one year free subscription to Bookshare.
How to sign up
2. Complete membership forms
- Enter individual information
- Accept terms and conditions
3. Download Proof of Disability Form
- Log in to your new Bookshare Account
- Click on My Account and then on Proof of Disability
- Download and print Proof of Disability form
4. Complete Proof of Disability form with Dyslexia Action
- Set appointment with closest Dyslexia Action Learning Centre
- Bring Proof of Disability form to Dyslexia Action Centre along with details of your assessments
- If you are already receiving tuition at a Dyslexia Action Learning Centre, speak to your teacher
- Scan or take photo of signed Proof of Disability form (this may be done at the Dyslexia Action Learning Centre if required)
5. Submit your Proof of Disability form
- Send your confirmed Proof of Disability form to firstname.lastname@example.org
- A welcome email will be sent to the email address provided during registration. Please check your Junk or spam folder. Please ignore prompts to submit payment as your first year membership is free.
For more information, visit www.bookshare.org